I’ve been thinking a lot about sugar lately. I love to bake and that usually involves a lot of sugar.
My husband sowed this thought in my head a month ago.
“How much sugar does each muffin have?” I had never thought about that before. I usually use half of the required sugar on the recipe so to me, I felt like I was doing great. As I proceeded to calculate the sugar quantity per muffin, I realized that each one contained 1/2 Tablespoon of sugar. Not bad, you might say but it adds up. We rarely had 1 muffin in a sitting; we liked to enjoy 2 muffins with a slice of toast for breakfast.
I will be starting a series on sugar and this will be the first post. Here’s what I hope to achieve from these series-
- Learning about the history of sugar
- Learning how the food industry has made living sugar-free difficult
- How to reduce sugar consumption
- Creative ways to enjoy a sweet treat with little to no sugar whether through baking or fruit desserts
- Desserts around the world and what we can learn from other cultures
The focus today will be on the history of sugar, the food industry’s role with sugar and some practical ways on how to reduce sugar consumption. Let’s get right into it.Read More »